At the jct. of Grand St. and Meadow St., (3rd light) on the left is Library Park, designed by Frederic Law Olmsted, son of the famed Central Park designer. Along the parks lower wall there are 47 sandstone and granite grave markers, which is all that remains of the time when the park was the town's burying ground from 1686-1890.
A statue of Michael McGivney, a city native and the founder of the Knights of Columbus frames the center of the intersection and the Waterbury Republican American Newspaper with its distinctive Clock Tower rising 240 feet over the city is across the street.
Beginning in 1909 this building served as the Union Station of the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad Company. It was modeled after the Torre Del Mangia in Sienna Italy and designed by McKim, Mead and White at a cost of $322,000. The President of the Railroad, C.W. Mellon traveled in Italy, the story goes, noticed the tower, and decided to put it on the next depot he built.