At the junction of Rte. 219 and Rte. 318, take Rte. 318 west passing the Saville Dam and Barkhamsted Reservoir. The Saville Dam was completed in 1940 on the East Branch of the Farmington River and was named for the chief engineer of the project, Caleb Mills Saville.
The Barkhamsted Reservoir, Connecticut's largest water supply is eight miles long and extends north from Barkhamsted to the town of Hartland. The Reservoir is the primary water supply for the metropolitan Hartford area, which is about 25 miles away. The village of Barkhamsted Hollow along with many other farms and villages located in the area were flooded when the Reservoir was created.
A scenic parking area located on Rte. 318 is a favorite spot for photos of the reservoir and spillway. The area between the Lake and the reservoir is laced with hiking trails and paths that meander along spillways and waterfalls.