Founded in 1673, Southbury, purchased from the Pootatuck Indians was once known as Pomperaug Plantation. In 1731, Southbury separated from Woodbury and built it's first Meeting House in South Britain, the original center of the town, laid out along an old Indian Trail where many of the town's original homes were built.
Southbury, was primarily an agricultural community; however because of the waterpower in South Britain, light industry developed in the 18th century.
Although General Washington never slept in Southbury, he traveled through Southbury several times. Southbury's country ambience has always attracted writers such as Gladys Tabor who wrote about her Southbury Connecticut farm "Stillmeadow" and Samuel G. Goodrich, author of 116 books for children using the pen name of Peter Parley. Today Southbury is a lovely rural community with two beautiful State Parks; Kettletown (off Rte. 67 south) and Southford Falls (Rte. 188), many fine restaurants and interesting shops.
Proceed on Rte. 67 north /6 east passing Southbury Plaza and Playhouse Corner.