Retrace your steps and continue on Rte. 6 east passing the Old Burying Ground. Among many markers for Revolutionary War Veterans is the marker of Reverend Walker dating to 1699, one of the oldest in the area. The Father's Monument erected to honor the town's first three clergymen, who between them served for 143 years, stands in the oldest corner of this ancient burying ground. Next to the Burying Ground is St. Paul's, the birthplace of the American Episcopate organized in 1740. This Federal styled church was erected in 1785.
Next pass the First Congregational Church organized in 1670, making it the oldest in Litchfield County, the present building dates to 1819. Saint Theresa's is next with its gingerbread Steeple, followed by the United Methodist Church circa 1839 across from the green. In front of the North Congregational Church circa 1818 look for a Milestone erected by Benjamin Franklin indicating that Litchfield is 14 miles. In 1752 Franklin became Postmaster General and by 1760 he succeeded in connecting most of the colonial centers with organized mail routes by marking miles with stones such as this one to improve the system of mail delivery.